Country Director - Sierra Leone
MSI Reproductive Choices is one of the world’s leading providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare. We believe that everyone should have the right to choose. From contraception to safe abortion and life-saving post-abortion care, we are committed to delivering compassionate, affordable, high-quality services for all.
Today, our organisation has over 9,000 team members working in 37 countries across the world. Our success lies in the fact that MSI teams are locally led, entrepreneurial and results-driven, and are passionate about delivering high quality, client-centered care in their own communities. As a social business, we focus on sustainable delivery, efficiency, and funding models that are built to last, so that the women and girls we serve today will have a choice in the future too.
We know that access to reproductive choice is life changing. For some, it can mean the ability to complete an education or start a career. For others, it means being able to look after the family they already have. For everyone, it means the freedom to decide their own future, creating a fairer, more equal world.
About the Role
The Country Director, Sierra Leone, is responsible for delivering results for women and their families, driving programmatic excellence, and implementing best practice at scale in Sierra Leone. They provide high quality services where they are needed the most, and their work directly contributes to preventing maternal deaths and making a sustainable impact on the lives of thousands of people every year. The CD is also responsible for ensuring Sierra Leone’s social business model has a strong footing on both the social and business side.
The Country Director, Sierra is a key leadership position. The CD represents the organisation in Sierra Leone and is responsible for the overall strategy, management (programmatic, financial, and administrative), and development of Sierra Leone’s national family planning and SRH programmes. They lead skilled, professional country teams to deliver life-saving services through clinical centres, mobile outreach teams, social franchising, and social marketing.
In addition, they are responsible for preparing and executing annual budgets, marketing plans and work plans; developing new business opportunities; overseeing financial, administrative, and logistical resources; ensuring adherence to MSI minimum standards; and assuring quality operations in line with annual and long-term strategic goals and objectives. The Country Director manages for results, valuing and rewarding high performance, accountability, speed and efficiency and innovation, while keeping the client at the heart of everything we do.
The Country Director is Sierra Leone’s senior representative in the country of assignment. Reporting to Africa Regional Office of MSI, MSI Sierra Leone is an implementing partner of the MoH, with whom MSI Sierra Leone works closely across all its projects and service delivery channels partnering at national, provincial, district and facility level. They work closely with government to overcome barriers that prevent women and men from accessing safe, affordable, reliable family planning and other sexual and reproductive health services.
We recruit talented, dynamic people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, all united by a belief in our mission and a focus on delivering measurable results. We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to creating a fully inclusive workplace, where everyone feels able to participate and contribute meaningfully. You must be open-minded, curious, resilient, and solutions-oriented, and committed to promoting equality, and safeguarding the welfare of team members and clients alike.
To perform this role, it is essential that you have the following skills:
- Proven experience of driving impact, quality and sustainability in programmes and improving operational standards
- Effective interpersonal skills, with the ability to lead, motivate and guide Country Programmes. Proven ability to effectively communicate ideas, proposals, issues and implications at senior level.
- Excellent project management skills related to organisational development projects and international, cross- functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Highly developed problem solving, diplomatic, networking and negotiation skills
- Demonstration of ‘making things happen’, operating at pace and delivering effectively through others
To perform this role, it is essential that you have the following experience:
- Experience of developing and successfully implementing business plans and growth strategies, with a track record of aligning resources with key priorities, keeping management teams focused on critical milestones and consistently achieving results
- Experience of communicating a range of complex issues with the ability to convey an inspiring vision and purpose both within operations and where appropriate across other business functions.
- An understanding of major policies/ issues of large bilateral/multilateral donors strong working knowledge of business practices
- An international mind-set, with an understanding of, and empathy for, the development sector, together with an appreciation for cultural differences
- Experience in leading a social business preferably in a developing country.
- Experience of formulating and controlling budgets to ensure effective monitoring takes place.
- Understanding of the issues surrounding provision of reproductive health care services internationally
- A reputation for ‘making things happen’, operating at pace and delivering effectively through others
We recruit talented, dynamic people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, all united by a belief in our mission and a focus on delivering measurable results. We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to creating a fully inclusive workplace, where everyone feels able to participate and contribute meaningfully. You must be open-minded, curious, resilient, and solutions-oriented, and be committed to promoting equality, and safeguarding the welfare of team members and clients alike.
For this role, we’re looking for an individual who has:
- Energy, drive and unwavering commitment for MSI’s mission, with the ability to push boundaries, and make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission
- Passionate about our clients and strives to consistently meet and exceed expectations, putting the clients at the centre of everything, and ensuring we deliver high quality, high impact services that meet their individual needs
- Highly motivated with the ability to motivate and develop the skills of the team and inspire individuals and teams through situational leadership and by providing clear direction
- Works as part of a team, providing support and flexibility to colleagues, demonstrating fairness, understanding and respect for all people and cultures
- Ability to influence key stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally within the organisation. Acts as a true MSI ambassador
- A commercial mind-set, understanding the levers for profitability for success within the marketplace. Focuses on results, ensuring long term sustainability and increased impact
- Takes accountability for the decisions made and the behaviours demonstrated
- Aware of the emerging developments within our sector, with the ability to focus and articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others, while understanding the detail and looking for the evidence
- Highest levels of integrity, and a strong ethical sense
- Knowledge and experience of the region
- Ability to travel throughout Africa and internationally to represent the cluster both internally and externally
For more information about the role, please view the job framework on our website.
Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Contract type: 3 year fixed term appointment
Salary: Country Programme Salary Range + Bonus + Benefits
Closing date: 12th October 2022 (midnight GMT+1). Interviews may take place before this date for exceptional candidates.
For internal employees applying from an MSI country programme, the role will be positioned within the existing salary structure of the country. Local terms and conditions of the country will apply.